Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Kawaii Business Casual at SEA Conference!


Good Evening lovelies!

So this past weekend from the 21st and 22nd, I took a trip with some other students from Millikin to SEA Conference!  SEA stands for Self Employment in the Arts, so it was a bunch of young artist-entrepreneurs running around a hotel for two days!

The conference itself was so amazing, I learned so much in such a short amount of time and I made some great new friends!  I could write a whole post on the content of the conference, but it would be a novel and I'm afraid I might bore you to tears.  If you'd like to see a post about it, leave a comment and I'll get it done as soon as I can!

Although this post is really about what I was wearing during the conference.  It was only an overnight trip, and I wanted to pack light, so I had to figure out how to combine just a few core pieces together.  The dress code for the conference was business casual, and I'll admit that when I read that I was slightly panicked.  

I didn't think I really had any office drag in my wardrobe, and I wanted to make sure I was still myself and didn't just look like an office drone.  I took to my closet and I was pleasantly surprised by what I put together!

Outfit photos after the jump!
Friday:




Blazer:  Jones New York Outlet
Blouse:  Wal-Mart
Pencil Skirt:  H&M
Tights:  Target
Shoes:  DSW

Alright!  So Friday was the longer day so I wanted to look a bit more pulled together than usual.  I pulled my hair back in a ponytail and made sure it was all slicked back.  I was so happy that I brought my pink blazer to wear.  It's really a statement, and as I went from panel to panel, many people would remember me because I was the girl with the pink blazer.  I got some compliments on it too!  It's made out of a soft and stretchy fabric, so it's very comfortable to wear for long periods of time.  The blouse is your basic cotton button-down, but it's a nice light pink, so it still felt very me.  You can't see it, but I'm also wearing a pearl necklace from my grandmother.

Y'all have seen this pencil skirt before in a more casual setting with my Cool Mickey coord!  I like how I can dress it up or down depending on the situation.  I love how it looked, but after wearing it all day I did get a little tired, and it would ride up when I sat down so I had to make sure to sit 'like a lady' as my grandmother would say. XD  The shoes are some patent leather (faux) kitten heels that I wear a lot, and they were just nice enough but easy to walk in.

Saturday:

This isn't fashion, but here was the view I had from my hotel room!  Pretty, right?  I like how the lake is partially defrosted.




Blazer:  Jones New York Outlet
Dress:  Topshop
Tights:  Wal Mart
Shoes:  DSW

This outfit is very similar to the one I wore on Friday, but I changed out the skirt and the blouse for my black Topshop dress.  I love this dress because it's super versatile, and it was very comfortable to wear, and I didn't have that riding up problem like I did with the pencil skirt.  I left my hair down but put a pink bow on the side of it before I went down for breakfast.  


 After breakfast I went to the ladies' room to put on some lipstick, and looking in the mirror, I didn't quite like how my hair looked with the bow on the side.  I still wanted to wear it, but not in my hair.  I dug through my purse and found a hair tie, wrapped it around the center of my pearls, and slipped the clip through the hair tie, and I had a cute bow tie to wear for Saturday!  I thought it was fun, and some of the guys there who were wearing bow ties as well got a chuckle out of it.

If you look closely, you can see that I've pinned a Holley Tea Time button onto my convention badge. 

So, did I succeed at looking like a super kawaii business woman?

For those of you who work in business but love cute fashion, how do you find a good balance?

I hope you enjoyed this post, see you next time!

xoxo

Martha





No comments:

Post a Comment