Sunday, October 5, 2014

Morticia-Inspired Black

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've done an outfit post, but I'm back with a new style to try!

Since it is October, I want to experiment with darker colors, and how to make them interesting, since most of my Fall/Winter fashion in past years has been quite boring with darker colors, or obnoxiously pastel.

I'm going to try and make simple outfits with dark colors into my own style.

Let's check out my first attempt, shall we?





Details from the top down:
Necklace: Betsey Johnson
Top: Thrifted
Dress: Topshop
Ring: Local artisan from Dallas

I watched The Addams Family recently, and I was inspired by Morticia's wardrobe.  She makes wearing all black look so fashionable and simple!  My problem with black in the past has been that I just look like a shapeless blob of boring.  In looking at Morticia and through my own closet, I've noticed that playing with textures is necessary when wearing all black, or mostly dark colors.  Using the top with lace sleeves, I created a point of interest in my outfit, even though it's only one color.  The A-line hem of the dress makes for a flattering shape as well, complimenting the tightness of the sleeves and the top of the dress.  
In the interest of keeping this outfit classy with a bit of edge, I kept the jewelry minimal.  The necklace brings a pop of color to the outfit, and since it's red, it fits in with the Morticia inspired theme, since the only color she wears is the red on her nails and lips.  The combination of black and red always makes me think of vampires, which is fun for October, since all I can really think about is Halloween.

xD

The ring is something I've been wearing often lately, since it goes with almost every outfit I put together.  I felt that with the lace on my arms, my hand needed some embellishment as well.  

And as you can see, I now have blue hair!

I had some leftover purple dye from when I had lilac pieces in my hair over the Summer, but without diluting it with conditioner at all, the color turns out a cobalt blue!  It's not what I expected, but I like it a lot, and I think it'll help me experiment more with darker colors.  It goes well with my pink clothes too. ^^

I hope you enjoyed this outfit post, and I have some more fun stuff for you coming up soon!

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next time!

xoxo

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment