Sunday, August 3, 2014

Outfit: Black Dress for Burlesque

Hello dahlings!

It's been a long time since I've done an outfit post, but I'm excited to announce that my outfit posts will now be in higher quality from now on!

I recently acquired a new camera and tripod, so I'll be able to take full outfit photos in much better quality than on my cell phone!  You can see some examples of how the photos look on this camera in my July Favorites post since I took some product photos to test it out.  It's a Nikon Coolpix L830 if you're curious.

I'm trying to find a good way to adjust lighting, cropping, and adding text without compromising the quality of the photos, so please bear with me as I play with some different editing tools!

Anyway, let's get on to the outfit, shall we?





Details:
Dress:  Thrift Shop 
Pearls:  Gift from my Grandmother
Heels:  Thrift Shop (originally Forever 21)
Hair Flower:  Urban Outfitters

So last Saturday I went to the Hotter than Hell Burlesque show at the Stateside Theatre at the Paramount, and I wanted a classy yet sexy look to wear while in attendance.  The day before the show, I went over to my Grandmother's house for a visit, and she had picked up this black dress at a thrift shop and wanted me to try it on.  Luckily, the dress fit perfectly!  I was so excited, because the last time I wore a little black dress was in high school!  This is a bit more grown up than the dress I had back then, and I couldn't be more pleased.  The backless cut makes it playful and sexy, while it being almost knee length in the front keeps it from showing too much.  Needless to say I felt pretty hot when I was walking into the theatre!

I bought the leopard print heels from Savers a few months ago, but I hadn't had a chance to wear them anywhere, but I thought a burlesque show was a perfect time to wear animal print!  The heels aren't sky-high, but they have just enough to emphasize the build of my legs and to make me feel confident.  Since the dress is a simple black, playing with fun accessories is key to making this outfit!  Speaking of which, the flower in my hair is actually a headband.  I found it in a set in Urban Outfitters a few years back on sale, and hadn't worn it recently because as a headband it just didn't sit right on my head.  While I was digging though my accessory box I saw it and decided to use it again.  I put my hair up in a bun, wrapped the band around it, secured the flower with a couple of bobby pins and boom!  Instant new hair accessory.  Nothing better than shopping in your own closet, right?  It's free!  To top off the outfit, I put on my favorite pearl necklace.  Black dresses and pearls are a timeless combination that you can wear anywhere!

For make-up, I decided to use the burlesque dancers as inspiration and did a black cat eye with false lashes and a red lip!  It had been a long time since I'd worn falsies, so some more practice with eyeliner application over them is needed.  But I was pleased with how it turned out.  And I do believe this is the first proper photo set on my blog of my new hair cut!  I quite like it!  I feel confident enough now to play with different up-dos and hairstyles since I have the bangs and front layers to control my face shape.  Hopefully I can get more creative with my hair!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this outfit post, and I'll be back with more soon!

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you in my next post!

xoxo

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment