Monday, June 16, 2014

My Exhaustion with Idols and a New Creative Start

I don't even know how I feel about idols anymore y'all.

I feel like the more I look into idols, whether Kpop or Jpop, I just find more problems.

Not only the unethical working conditions, but things like shadeism, racism, misogyny, sexism...the list goes on.

I just feel like recently liking idols has made me mentally exhausted.  I can't ignore the issues going on anymore, and when I try to just enjoy the music, there's still this heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach that I can't shake.  

I know there are also Western artists with the issues mentioned above.  I don't support them.  I don't buy their music.  I don't look into them.  I'm beginning to think that's what I should do with idols now.  I may stop in every now and again to look at a new song or two, see what's going on with the fandom...but it's time for me to step back.  I think being a casual listener is the best option for me at this point.

This doesn't mean I'll stop listening to music from other countries, it just means I'll be on the lookout for music that isn't idol music.  More artists and bands instead of idols.  There will still be music reviews on this blog, but if you're looking for idols, I suggest you look somewhere else.

It's tough for me, because idols have been a huge part of my life for about six years now.  There's a part of me that feels like a piece of my identity is gone, because I completely immersed myself into idol culture.  I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, and it leaves space to fill with something new, something that's more suited to the current Martha.

As far as Kira Kira Entertainment goes, I'll have to brainstorm some new ideas.  Of course I can still use songs from popular anime series (including idol anime like Idolm@ster and Love Live, because those are characters and not real people), and other Jpop and Kpop music, but the other maids are still so immersed in idol culture that I can't take them out of it alone.  There will probably still be maid performances from KKE that involve idol songs, I just won't be dancing or singing in them personally after the Summer is over.

I'm trying to find the best creative mix for myself and for my Entertainment group, and that may involve me losing a few members...I already lost one this month.  It sucks, but different people have different creative outlets, and I'm not going to keep someone against their will.  I'm hoping I can continue to find new people who share my creative ideas and beliefs.

There's going to be a lot of change over the next few months for me and for Kira Kira Entertainment, and hopefully this new found freedom from my idol obsession will lead me to some great new adventures.

See you in my next post

xoxo

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment